County Assembly of Samburu is mandated under Article 185 of the Constitution, 2010 and Section 8 of the County Government Act No.17 of 2012 to primarily represent the people, create laws for the benefit of the people and oversight the County Government executive and its organs.
Role and Functions of the County Assembly
The County Assembly of Samburu shall in accordance to Section 8 of the County Governments Act 2012 perform the following roles and functions:
- Exercise the legislative authority of the Assembly as set out in article 185 of the constitution
- Vet and approve nominees for appointment to county public offices as may be provided for in this Act or any other law;
- Perform the roles set out under Article 185 of the Constitution;
- Approve the budget and expenditure of the county government in accordance with Article 207 of the Constitution, and the legislation contemplated in Article 220(2) of the Constitution, guided by Articles 201 and 203 of the Constitution;
- Approve the borrowing by the county government in accordance with Article 212 of the Constitution; and
- Perform any other role as may be set out under the Constitution or legislation.